Saturday, March 23, 2019

Assignment

While I was reading Asma why we need religion, what stuck out to me the most was the section "Developing EON Perspective". In this section the author exclaimed on how religion helps reduces anger and other negative emotions by prayer, meditation, and other techniques(190). This caught my attention immediately because I grew up having severe anger issues, and there were times when I would explode and try to fight any and everyone who even looked my direction crazy. A way I coped with my anger was prayer(when I found God myself) and meditating when I didn't have access to a basketball and rim. When I said found God for myself, what I meant is that growing up religion was kinda forced upon me and I didn't really understand who God was and why everyone thought he was so important until I had to do time somewhere and I couldn't depend on nothing but God himself. Another example this section talked about was guardian aggression and vulnerability. Basically he exclaimed that as the guardian, we feel that it's a must that we protect the people we love from any danger that tries to come their way and if we have to show anger and rage then so be it. I'm overprotective over all my siblings because I've seen how cruel the world can get, and I wouldn't want them to see and go through the things I had to, so I feel that it's my priority to protect them from whatever the world tries to throw at them. Just like in the story when they were in China and a car drove very close to his son's stroller. Asma walked on the street and punched the side mirror clean off as an act of anger because we want to do harm to anyone who tries to bring harm to the people we love most.

3 comments:

  1. AJ I agree with your viewpoint and I feel the same way as well. I too can relate to how prayer and reflection about God can ease negative emotions that we feel and help us cope with them.
    Also the story of Asma and the stroller is interesting, I think that one reason why we often turn to anger when something like that happens is because we feel out of control of the situation and it comes out as rage, triggering something in us that tells us we have to fight to protect/defend our loved ones. I have a four year old son and two little brothers so I can also see where you are coming from in being overprotective and wanting to protect your siblings from the world and to lead better lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 110% AJ, growing up i felt the similar way dealing with anger issues, family forcing religion to me but eventually i found it for myself and football was my gateway to deal with things of it wasn’t prayer or God. I have siblings to i’m the oldest and i felt that we must protect our siblings because of the world we live in as well we must guide them in the right way and guide them to God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like religion can both CAUSE anger and EASE anger! Thank you all for your engagement with the book and each other!

    ReplyDelete