The reading I enjoyed most this week was Asma's chapter on Fear and Rage and how they relate to religion. In this chapter Asma discusses that one universal fear for humans is death and immortality. He talks about the the Terror management theory, which is an explanation of human behavior in relation to avoidance of death (4). One question that the author asks is if religious people are more or less afraid of death? In most religions there is a promise of an afterlife, paradise, reincarnation, etc. it is an interesting concept that people would seek out religion for comfort in order to confront or understand the fear of death.
Another concept discussed is how religion lessens fear by making the individual feel more 'confident' knowing that God is with them or essentially "has their back" (7). This idea along with the practice of religious behavior an make an individual feel less afraid, it can ease mental distress, and bring peace. Personally I can relate to this concept, I have suffered from anxiety and panic disorder since I was about 16. In my early twenties it was at its worst and I had hit a low point, although I am not religious in the traditional sense the idea that God and Jesus were with me, was my comfort when my mind was out of control. It is also why I have a huge cross tattooed on my forearm, to remind me that I am never alone and as a visual comfort.
Asma also discusses how religion can incite rage (17), he references how terrorist acts are carried out in the name of religion and God. For most of history war and terror have taken place in the name of religion. It has always been fascinating to me how humankind can take the concept of religion and turn it into a weapon to harm or oppress other cultures or religions.
Asma's chapter was overall very interesting. I also enjoyed how he talks about scientific and psychological research begin done or though of to measure and record how religion effects emotions such as fear and rage.
I really liked how you related the concept of how religion can make an individual more confident in their lives because God has their backs with how when you were struggling emotionally you felt as if there was always a higher power there to provide you comfort and support. I feel like even though some people aren't necessarily religious, almost everyone can relate to the feeling of not being completely alone in the world through the possibility of there being something out there that is bigger than ourselves. I also think it is cool that you mentioned your tattoo and how it gives you a visual reminder that you're not alone.
ReplyDelete