Sunday, March 17, 2019

Using religious topics as entertainment

I enjoyed Brandon's presentation on the movie Legion. I have seen his film a few times, but I had never thought of it in the context that we discussed in class. I thought it was interesting the role reversal of angels as bringers of death and destruction. And the idea of a child being the savior of the human race, like Jesus Christ, was.
What I found interesting about the religious aspect of the movie were Michael and the angels. Many of us know that Michael the Archangel is the angel responsible for sending Lucifer to hell after he disobeys God. In this film, Michael makes the same choice as Lucifer in a way by violating God's order to end humanity and instead sides with and defends humanity. 
Another fascinating portrayal in Legion was the angels who were demon like setting out to destroy mankind. We tend to think of angels as messengers, holy, and as protectors. This film turns that all around and makes angels something evil. However, knowing that angels are messengers of God and responsible for carrying out his plan and owing him total obedience it is understandable that the angels in the film would carry out Gods plan to destroy the world without question.

No comments:

Post a Comment