Group blog of REL 2810: "Superheroes and the Supernatural" at Aurora University, Spring 2019. Opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual authors and do not represent the views of Aurora University, its faculty, administrators, or trustees.
Sunday, February 10, 2019
REL Con
I think it's very important that no matter what we come up with, it doesn't sound too incredibly cheesy if we really want people to attend and appreciate what we have to offer. We have to advertise in a way that is intriguing and unique. I can't tell you how many campus events come across as simply unappealing(whether they're actually amazing or not) due to the way they present themselves. Since the course focuses on superheroes and the supernatural, obviously we should find a way to incorporate and highlight those subjects, that being said we don't necessarily need to make that the entirety of our event. I don't really have any specific ideas, although I really agree with some of the other people who have mentioned a trivia night, movie night, cosplay, etc. I do however feel as though regardless whatever we plan to do, we should make sure everyone who attends feels welcome, appreciated, safe, and overall comfortable enough to enjoy themselves. I think it would be fun to incorporate some sort of raffle or games for those who may not feel confident enough to participate in discussion, but this can be up to debate based on budgeting. I also feel like there should definitely be some type of food, whether we plan to have pizza and a movie night, or just some snacks during a walkthrough. (This next part just came to me as I was writing in case it seems far-fetched or out of order). What if we planned different events on different days like we talked about in class, maybe one night could be the movie/trivia night with pizza and pj's (we could come up with movies in class and see if there is a way to send a mass email with a poll to see which one we show), the next day could be the walkthrough where we reach out to students in different groups on campus prior and maybe ask them to create some artwork or bring some symbolic items from home to be put on display and also have some games and minor discussions about each thing, (this could also be the fun day to cosplay and have snacks). And on the final day (depending on how many we have) we could turn it into a black-tie gala where we encourage everyone to dress to impress and share their thoughts on what they experienced during the process, as well as all of us and to bring up a larger discussion on religion and the connection between superheroes and the supernatural. That all sounds really extra but it sounded really cool in my head.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you're right, Sierra, that having some different things over the course of the week is the way to go. It makes getting venues more complicated, but it'll probably be easier to staff and definitely more appealing to market! I'm going to spend my next two weeks trying to get spaces and possibilities worked out, now that you all are generating some ideas here! Keep the good ideas flowing!
ReplyDeleteCan I ask specifically about some of the "don't-dos" that we can avoid?