Sunday, February 3, 2019

Material Religion

Do You Need Materialistic Things to Believe?


        I believe that in religions there are things that you may or may not need to help you become closer in your faith. In religions such as Buddhism, Christianity, and other religions they have things that are considered to be important physical objects. In Buddhism, they have the Buda that they pray to and if it wasn't there it wouldn't be as special of an occasion. In Christianity, they have many things that they use some of them are the rosary, the Eucharist, holy water and many more. Some may think that materialist things aren't important to be religious, but when you think about it they play a very big role in how you go about the religion and in the way you do religious activities. Unlike in the clip that we watched when the man in the church said that he did not need anything between him and God, such as a church, I believe that people do need a church or something of that sort for them to have a dedicated and respected place for them to worship. It may work in certain situations for someone to not go to church and they get closer to what they believe in, but in my opinion, I think that situations like that are very rare.  

1 comment:

  1. Good observations, Cody -- but why do you think people need a "church or something"? I agree! But I want you to dig deeper and go into more detail. How is it that objects, symbols, and places focus our attention? Can we even go so far as to say that a church MAKES people religious?

    ReplyDelete