Group blog of REL 2810: "Superheroes and the Supernatural" at Aurora University, Spring 2019. Opinions expressed on this blog are those of the individual authors and do not represent the views of Aurora University, its faculty, administrators, or trustees.
Sunday, February 3, 2019
Disney and Religion
Going back to the discussion we had in class about how disney related to religion really made me look at disney from a different standpoint. I wasn't really a disney kid growing up so the only times I would watch it is when I had to watch my little brother while everyone was gone. Out of every disney movie I watched, I saw the same thing which was made up characters/animals talking and trying to solve a problem. I would've never seen a comparison between religion and disney without that discussion. Religion plays a part in people's lives that gives them hope, faith/worship, and imagination. By imagination I mean religion helps people see the world from a logical standpoint, to a more hopeful and what if standpoint. The disney sequel The Toy Story is a perfect example of how religion has been incorporated into disney. In the movie you have a civilization of toys that talk, walk, and in a way think like humans. In the beginning these toys were happy because the main character Andy was young and played with the toys 24/7. Later in the sequel he starts to grow up and eventually doesn't want to play with the toys anymore. The toys thought that Andy was going to throw them out but he really was putting them in a charity or something like that. The point i'm trying to make is religion gives you an alternative approach on life because you never know what life has instored for you, but when you have strong faith you are more than likely going to have an uphand on something. Religion to me is about remaining hopeful even when times are getting hard and you don't think you have another route to go. If you remain faithful to what you believe, sooner or later another door is bound to open for you. Just like Toy Story, at the end the toys ended up with a new owner who played with them, took care of them the right way, and gave the toys hope again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi AJ, thanks for your contribution! I think you are onto two things here: first, the role Disney played in your family's life; and second, the messages that Disney offers to meet the desires and needs of its audience. Keep thinking about these issues! What more can you say? Can you dig a little deeper about how Disney movies relate to the definition of religion you offer? Can you connect that definition to one of our readings?
ReplyDelete