Thursday, April 4, 2019

C2E2 Overview

C2E2 seems like an incredible atmosphere not only for fanatics of superhumans and fantasy, but for anyone looking for a place to feel accepted and have fun. Personally the only big-scale convention I've attended was the Wizard World Comic Con back in 2015, which had similar set of activities such as celebrity panels, encouraged cosplay contests, souvenir booths, etc. What I found most interesting when reading about this convention however was just how progressive their approach to popular culture was. Something that stuck out to me was a panel on Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, and why representation matters. The fact that this event is utilizing the mass attention from the pop culture phenomena to bring notice to societal issues makes it all the more appealing.

Along with the positive political aspects, there are also a plethora of exciting themed games and discussions ranging from comic legends discussing the impact of their works, theatrical workshops, as well as cast reunions from some of your favorite cult classics. What makes conventions like these so intriguing is really the fact that they are the epitome of "geek culture". So many around the world find themselves existing in a sort of subculture of the general public, much like the previous reading we had on Religion and Comic Con by Broadsky, explaining that feeling of belonging you feel amongst all of the hype around something you are passionate for. Growing up I was very connected with sci-fi and fantasy shows or films, and always found myself writing short stories within that same genre. Although I may not have felt that same connection with many of my peers, I knew I always had that part of my life to rely on. Events like these are important because they create a safe place for everyone to find joy and acceptance, especially those who dedicate the majority of their lives to these films, series', comics, artists, and so on and so forth. I think its incredible how progressive they have become as well, pushing a regime filled with equality, representation, and overall positivity for everyone involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment