Brandon James
After reading A Little History of Religion by Richard Holloway
and explaining in detail about what he was trying to get across, I have taken
an approach with the evidence I believed to be achievable. To begin with, I do
not believe that the human existence created religion out of nowhere just because
they wanted something to believe in. Religion has its main focal point and its purpose
to everyone no matter what religion that may be. Some question that raised from
the reading are: Is religion made up or accurate? Does religion play a key role
through the lives of people, or does it just brainwash people with false hope?
In the early chapters od the book it begins to mention how
the human existence explained the reason why they exist on earth. Going into
further speculations we discover that people made up religion in their heads to
create a sense of hope. As a man of faith, I find this challenging to believe because
I know after reading the bible numerous times throughout my life the Bible his
accurate and the teachings of God are real. I would agree that religion plays
an impactful role through the lives of its believers, because it impacts an
entire community or culture. Religion forms the way people think and act. Each religion has its own code of conduct set
for its followers to abide by, which gives them the challenge to see how strong
that faith actually is. For instance, the ten commandments gives Christians a
set of commands on how they should live and treat others. Another reason religion
plays a key role in our lives is sue to the fact that it helps people deal with
hard situations daily. For people without religion it may be hard to handle
tough situations in their life, but with it they have faith to overcome any
obstacle.
Brandon, thank you for your comments! I think I'd like to distinguish a couple things you mention together. On the one hand, you describe the impact of religion in people's lives, and you describe faith as "strong." Is that emotional and psychological impact dependent on the *scientific accuracy* (so to speak) of religion, or where it came from? I hear you saying that the idea of a "natural" origin of religion is difficult to swallow. This should only make us more keen to look into people's "supernatural" beliefs. I'd like you to consider revisiting this question this week, because our readings on myth make us question whether a myth needs to be *true* in order to *work.*
ReplyDelete