Thursday, January 17, 2019

How I'm Grading this Blog

Excited to see your contributions to the blog so far! Here I just want to outline my expectations again, so you feel comfortable and confident about how this work is being evaluated.

First: from the syllabus...

***Blog Entries
The main way you will demonstrate your consistent, ongoing engagement with the material of this course is through weekly blog entries. Each week, you will be required to write a 300- to 500-word post that utilizes our recent materials in some way. Regardless of the approach you take, you must cite by page number at least one reading from the course so far. You also must make clear what you think the significance of your observations is. Each post should do one of the following:
1.      Raise a question about a reading or film in relation to our ongoing analysis of “the supernatural” and “religion,” then attempt to answer it.
2.      Respond to a classmate’s post from a previous week, using one or more readings or films to add to the discussion of that question.
3.      Write a post that directs our attention to an outside reading that you’ve encountered, summarize its findings and perspective, and then explain its connection to course concepts or questions.
4.      Occasionally I will give a specific prompt for you to respond to or an activity to conduct on the blog. If so, I’ll let you know at the beginning of the week.

Blog entries must be posted each week by Friday at 11:59pm unless stated differently in the schedule below.***

By the end of term you'll have written (at least) 15 blog posts. Each will be graded on a 1 to 5 scale, according to the following criteria:

A post that earns a 5 has 
1) raised a question about our shared material,
2) offered a plausible answer to that questions, based on
3) evidence from our readings or films, cited appropriately, and
4) explores concretely and creatively the significance of your observations, in order to
5) connect with other aspects of our study of religion and popular culture, with other classmates' reflections and questions on the blog, or with content and experiences "out there" in the larger world.

In other words...


5/5 = Fantastic! You’ve given evidence from the reading/film, explained clearly what you think it means, and offered some truly original thoughts on a critical piece of our shared content. You may have even connected ideas across different films/readings in a thoughtful, convincing way. It’s a significant, well-written contribution to our collective understanding of the material.

4/5 = Really well done. You’ve connected your thoughts to a specific part of the reading/film, and you’ve shown clearly that you can pull meaning out of what we watch together. Your interpretation makes sense, and you’ve done more than just summarize in your own words. You’ve clearly begun to follow up on the implications of what the author or filmmaker has presented to us. Perhaps though you could say more about its significance. Generally well written and organized, this is high quality work and you’re on the right track.

3/5 = Satisfactory. You’ve written something that appropriate responds to the question or prompt and demonstrates that you have some good ideas about what our film might mean. You might not have quoted a reading, but I can tell you’re thinking about the concepts they present. Your overall understanding of the reading/film or the appropriate concepts/methods isn’t quite coming through. That’s what class discussion is for – don’t get discouraged. It’s possible you’ve got one good idea that just needs more clarity and development. It’s also possible that you have mostly just summarized plot or restated what an author says. Summarizing ideas is a good start, but it is only the beginning. You could be on the verge of some really penetrating insights, but it needs a little more time to develop. Some work on the clarity of your writing might help, or perhaps you need to spend a little more time explaining the implications of what you’re saying. 

1/5 or 2/5 = You haven’t really completed the assignment. Either it’s too short, or you haven’t answered the question I asked. There may be significant problems with your writing. You may have just put it off too long and not had time to do well. I encourage you to work harder and give these little essays they time and attention they deserve. It’ll help you in the long run (in this class and beyond!).

Beginning with the second post (due Friday, 1/18), lateness will subtract a half-point. So 5 becomes 4.5, 4 a 3.5, and so on.

I will reply to some posts directly on the blog, but not to all. Some weeks I will post, but not all the time. I want this to be a space where you engage with each other (the classroom often being more of a question-and-answer space than a true dialogue).

I hope that what I've posted here serves as clear guidelines without stifling your creativity. I want to give you some structure and some clarity, but I also want you to make it your own. Remember that unless I put up a specific prompt, the post is open to where our work recently is taking you!

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment